An exciting future, together.
Here to keep you informed every step of the way.
We are honored to be bringing Schwab and TD Ameritrade together. As we work to combine the complementary strengths of our two great companies, we will continue to deliver the superior service you've come to expect.
Your trust means everything to us. We will make sure you are informed every step of the way and will update this hub whenever new information is available. We look forward to continuing to serve you.
"This combination, it's historic."
Chuck, do you want to be the biggest? The most profitable? What do you want to be?
When I started, we would be doing 50 trades a day. Five Oh. All by hand with a pen and a pad.
I knew instinctively that individual investor needed a better deal, that they were getting a raw deal from Wall Street. I certainly knew in my mind that we had a great business opportunity ahead of us. And I'm sure Joe Ricketts felt the same way.
You know, we would study our competitors very, very carefully. Kept us fresh. Kept us ambitious.
"Best service. Big discounts. 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I'm Charles Schwab. And that's the way I see it. From the investor's point of view."
There are many times Ameritrade would come up with some interesting idea. I mean, my goodness! Thinkorswim.. I wish we had done that. It was always sort of that kind of "Can we leapfrog them? And they would I'm sure say the same thing: "Can we leapfrog Schwab?"
One of the earliest online capabilities.
Buy, sell, do your research. I'll just call up a portfolio. And the order has been placed in our host computer system.
It was all about trying to help individual investors, better service, lower prices, faster transactions.
Both companies had our freedom to take care of individual investors.
In the early days, Merrill Lynch, might've been $110 for a trade and we brought it down all the way down. Finally, about a year ago, we were down to $5 and finally I decided let's go to zero. That's where it should be. Let's go to zero.
It would not have happened except for firms like Ameritrade and ourselves, who pushed that envelope.
I guess the beauty of being somewhat mature…is to see that most successful people I know, or people who are doing something for somebody else.
"Owning your tomorrow" is the way we express it. "Transforming lives." It's the same subject matter. It's really about helping people.
And that has not changed. You're helping somebody. Those are the most fulfilling of all jobs, for my money.
This combination, it’s historic. There’ll be no other company like the combination of the two companies coming together.
Individual investors and their independent advisors. Total focus.
There are other companies that might say we're like that also, but they're not.
It's the people at Ameritrade and the people at Schwab. We’ll be independent. We won't be part of another company that has a different mission in life.
Chuck, do you want to be the biggest? The most profitable? What do you want to be?
The merger today is not about being the biggest. To me, it's about being the strongest. An unbelievable fortress of a company with the highest level of integrity. That's what you want to deal with. And that's what we want to offer.
And that’s what we are.
thinkorswim is here to stay
thinkorswim® is here to stay.
We're fully committed to providing a best-in-class trading experience, now and in the future. That means that the thinkorswim platform suite is coming to Schwab. TD Ameritrade traders: Take on the market with confidence knowing you'll have uninterrupted access to the platforms, innovation, education, and service you've come to rely on.
Coming together with a single goal: to serve you.
TD Ameritrade and Schwab see the world through the same eyes — our clients'. We put you at the center of our businesses. That singular focus on doing right by our clients won’t change. We're excited to bring these two great firms together.
$0 commissions for online trades¹
At Schwab you can count on transparent pricing and low costs, because we believe that investing costs and fees matter—and you should always know what you're paying.
Both Schwab and TD Ameritrade clients now have a Satisfaction Guarantee. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund your fees or commissions and work with you to make things right.
As a Schwab client, you will have access to our personalized approach to wealth management that includes ongoing advice and investment guidance, and a dedicated advisor backed by an experienced team. Enrollment minimum $1 million USD.
- When will the Schwab and TD Ameritrade integration be completed?
Schwab and TD Ameritrade are working together to combine the strengths of our firms and come together as one company to benefit you. To ensure we have time to build the best experience possible for our clients, we expect account conversion to be complete within 30-36 months of the original deal close, which would be somewhere between April and September of 2023 for most accounts.
As we have more information we will share it here, and you’ll be notified well in advance of any changes along the way.
- Will I still be able to use thinkorswim®?
Yes, the thinkorswim® platforms are coming to Schwab. That means you'll still have access to thinkorswim® on desktop, web, and mobile—along with all its educational resources, including paperMoney®. We’re combining the best capabilities, education, and service at both firms to create a world-class trading experience. So keep using thinkorswim® knowing that you'll have uninterrupted, long-term access at Schwab.
I'm a Schwab client. When will I get access to the thinkorswim platforms?
Keep checking back—we'll update this page as we get closer to being able to offer you thinkorswim access in your Schwab account.
- Can I move to Schwab now?
- If you want to move to Schwab now you can, but if you wait, your account and corresponding history will automatically move to Schwab as part of the seamless transition experience. If you do decide to move your account now, your account history and documents associated with your TD Ameritrade account will not be integrated into your new Schwab account.
- If you do prefer to move your account to Schwab earlier, the easiest way to do so is by opening an account online at international.schwab.com and initiating the transfer process. All fees associated with the transfer will be waived.
- And, if you have already started the transfer process to Schwab, please go ahead and complete the transfer as planned, and let us be the first to say, "Welcome to Schwab!"
- How will you keep my investments and information safe?
- We earn your trust every day by keeping your assets and information safe. Doing so will continue to be a priority at both firms, through security procedures that are designed, tested, and implemented to ensure the safety of your account, personal information, and financial assets.
- I already have accounts at TD Ameritrade and Schwab—what can I expect now?
- You will manage your accounts at each firm separately until your TD Ameritrade account is moved to Schwab.
- If you have updates to make, you will need to make those at each firm individually.
- You will need to continue to call TD Ameritrade for questions associated with your TD Ameritrade account, and Schwab for questions related to your Schwab account.
- You can add your TD Ameritrade accounts to your Account Summary view on your Schwab platform for a comprehensive look at the investments and balances you have at both companies.
- Will there be any changes to my branch access?
- You'll need to continue to use TD Ameritrade branches for business associated with your TD Ameritrade account, and the Schwab service teams who you normally contact for business associated with your Schwab account.
- What if Schwab doesn't offer a product or service currently available at TD Ameritrade?
- There are some differences in the offerings between the two firms, and we will be taking these differences into account as we work to ensure the best client experience for you. If there are any changes as we get closer to your account moving, you will be notified in advance.
- Are TD Ameritrade payment features, such as debit cards, credit cards, and checks, changing?
- If you have payment features on your brokerage accounts, such as debit cards and checks, we do not anticipate any immediate changes.
- The TD Ameritrade Client Rewards Credit Card is issued by TD Bank, N.A., a separate and unaffiliated firm, and TD Bank, N.A. will continue to support your card and will communicate any future changes to card members.
- Note that TD Bank is not included in the acquisition, and any accounts that you may have with TD Bank directly will not be affected.
- Will anything be changing with pricing or fees for international clients at this time?
- There are no changes to pricing and fees for our existing clients at this time, as a result of the integration planning.
- Will there be any change to the countries where either firm will accept clients as a result of the acquisition?
- Currently Schwab and TD Ameritrade are aligned with the countries in which they accept new clients, and have contacted any affected clients.
- I am a TD Ameritrade client who lives in a country where Schwab currently does not offer services. What does this mean for me?
- There are no immediate changes to the countries supported by either company. For now, it is business as usual, and you can continue to do business with TD Ameritrade in your account as you always have. You will be notified in advance of any decisions impacting your account.
- Is anything changing with Schwab Global Services' operating and service hours or the languages supported?
- At this time, there will not be changes to operating hours or languages. However, we will continue to evaluate our operations as part of account conversion preparation.
Need help with your account?
Schwab International Clients
If you are an international client calling from outside the U.S., please call +1-415-667-8400 5:30 p.m. Sunday to 1:00 a.m. Saturday (U.S. EST).
If you are calling from inside the U.S., please call 877-686-1937